Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)
Prior learning assessment & recognition (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a degree. You will need to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences. This may include work, training, independent study, volunteering, travel, hobbies and family experiences.
Who can apply?
PLAR candidates must be over 21 years old
How does it work?
PLAR is done on a course by course basis. If a course covers material you already know, you can ask for an assessment of your knowledge. This is called a “challenge.” For example, if you have done a lot of computer work, you might challenge a computer course. To assess your learning, you may be:
- tested with written or oral exams, interviews, or case studies
- assessed through a portfolio of your work that shows your skills.
Your learning will be evaluated as would happen in a classroom environment and your assessment will be graded. This grade will appear on your transcript (PLAR does not result in an exemption), and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).
You may have gained valuable knowledge and skills through independent study, working experience, volunteering or travel. The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) program at GUST® can help you identify and translate this learning into certification, possibly enabling you to receive a degree in less time and cost. Moreover, You can get up to 75% of your credits through PLAR and transfer credits, and the other 25% must come from classes taken at the College/University.